Veggie skewers consisting of zucchini, red onion, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and bell peppers are grilled to perfection. They are coated with a garlic-lemon marinade giving it that perfect bite. Hello there, summer!
Vegetables To Skewers
Not all vegetables are created equal when making them into skewers. They are just better sauteed or roasted, away from the grill. Vegetables that we recommend using for skewers recipes are:
- Zucchini – can also substitute or also add yellow squash.
- Onions – Red onions are my favorite, but you can also use yellow or white onions too.
- Bell Peppers – There are green, red, yellow, and orange bell peppers. Mix them up or just pick your favorite ones.
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Mushroom – White mushrooms or Crimini mushrooms.
Other Recipes To Try With Veggie Skewers
How To Make Veggie Skewers
Servings: 8 – 12 Skewers | Course: Dinner
- 1 Zucchini (cut into ½-inch thick)
- 1 Bell Pepper (deseed, cut into chunks)
- 8-10 Baby Bella Mushroom (whole)
- 1 Red Onion (cut into chunks)
- 12 Cherry Tomatoes
- ⅓ Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ⅛ Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
Prep: 15 minutes | Marinade: 2 hours | Cook: 15 minutes
Time needed: 30 minutes.
- Making the marinade: A simple marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Whisk until everything is combined.
- Chopped ingredients: Chop the zucchini into ½-inch thick, onion and bell pepper into 1-inch chunks, and keep the cherry tomato and mushroom whole. Place all your ingredients into the marinade. Allow it to refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Skewers & Grill: If you are using wooden skewer sticks be sure to soak them in water if your cooking method is the grill. If you are using a grill pan or oven you can skip the soaking. (Another great alternative is using stainless steel skewers to reduce waste). Remove from the refrigerator and start threading the vegetables.
- Heat the grill pan and add oil. Place your skewers to cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Plate and enjoy with rice, tzatziki sauce, chicken or pork souvlaki, and crispy lemon potatoes.
Note: If you are using wooden skewer sticks be sure to soak them in water if your cooking method is the grill. If you are using a grill pan or oven you can skip the soaking. The wooden sticks will burn on an outdoor grill.