A perfect crispy turmeric panko chicken drumstick recipe that everyone will enjoy! Guilt-free since it’s baked and not fried! Pair great with our best potato salad and any veggies of your choice.
During the weeknights, my husband and I do enjoy Korean-style fried chicken every now and then. They are great to be enjoyed on their own or with a side of rice, potato salad, or small salad. But, eating this often wouldn’t be healthy as most of them are fried in oil. For me, I really wanted to somehow recreate crispy chicken wings and drumsticks without the frying. Hence my inspiration in making turmeric panko chicken drumsticks.
This recipe is versatile as you can play with the spices and use different parts of the chicken such as just drumsticks, wingettes, or the entire wing piece. Definitely a family favorite here!
More MGF Recipes
Breadcrumb options that we love!
They not only make great breading on our proteins such as chicken. You can make panko cauliflower, shrimp, use it on casseroles, and more. There are a variety of things that can be made to suit your dietary requirements. Don’t assume that you can’t love food like anyone else just because of your lifestyle choices.
Ingredients You Will Need
Breading: In this recipe, I personally love using panko as my breading choice. It gives a light and fluffy crispy texture. I’ve tested both baking and frying and it works wonderfully. And you can absolutely also use breadcrumbs to substitute!
Seasoning: The key to this flavorful chicken recipe is definitely the spices. The breading alone is quite bland and doesn’t have much flavor.
Salt and Pepper are essential to any recipe.
Garlic Powder is there to say? It goes great with everything and enhances the flavor.
Paprika for a subtle kick. You can also substitute for smoked paprika!
Turmeric adds an earthy flavor and subtle yellow color.
Dried Thyme gives a savory taste with a subtle lemon and pepper flavor.
Chicken: I’ve made this recipe many times. You can use just drumsticks, wingettes, or wings that still have the drums attached. Whichever you choose, they will work great! Just a matter of personal preference.
Preparation of Breading Panko Chicken Drumsticks
In a traditional breading process, you would flour the protein, add the egg wash to moisten and hold the bread coating. Whenever I make a recipe like this or even frying pork katsu, I skip the flouring step. It’s one less mess and they still come out perfectly crispy.
Step 1: With one hand, add the drumstick into the egg wash and make sure that it is completely covered.
Step 2: Drop into the seasoned panko breading. With a spoon or your other hand, spoon over the breading to ensure everything is coated. Gently press down to make sure it sticks. Then lightly shake the excess off.
Step 3: Place them on a baking sheet lined with the rack. Repeat Step 1 + 2 until you are done.
Step 4: Drizzle lightly with olive oil and bake!
Enjoy Panko Chicken Drumsticks with…
How to Make Turmeric Panko Chicken Drumsticks
Servings: 5-6 | Course: Dinner
- 10-12 Pcs Chicken Drumsticks (with skin on)
- 2 Cup Plain Panko (gluten-free or breadcrumb)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- ¼ Tsp Dried Thyme
- ¼ Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- Olive Oil
Prep: 10 Minutes | Cook: 45-50 Minutes
Time needed: 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line your sheet pan with parchment paper or nonstick aluminum foil and then place the rack on top. Set it aside.
- In the first breading pan, add panko, garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, thyme, and turmeric. With a fork give everything a good mix and then set it aside.
- In the second breading pan, make the egg wash. Add eggs into the pan and with a fork whisk until you don’t see any egg whites. Set it aside next to the panko breading.
- Set up your breading station with one bowl for panko and one for the egg wash. I like to set them side by side next to the baking pan.
- With gloves on, grab your drumstick and make sure it is well covered in egg wash before coating with panko. Give the drumstick a shake to remove excess panko.
- Then place them on the baking sheet with a rack. Continue to repeat step 5 until all of the chicken drumsticks are done. After, drizzle the coated drumstick with a bit of olive oil on each one and pop them in the oven. Allow them to bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once they are done, plate your panko chicken. You can garnish it with some fresh thyme but it is not necessary as they are already super delicious!
- Enjoy these crispy delicious panko chicken with a side of our best potato salad and your favorite choice of veggies!