A simple and easy homemade granola recipe that can cater to any taste buds. You’ll never want to touch store-bought granola again! Just add in all your favorite mix-in and flavors to be baked and ready in 25 minutes! Yum!
Do you enjoy eating granola? Because, I do too. Today, I’m going to share my “simple” granola recipe, which also happens to be the best granola recipe. Granted, I’m being a bit biased, but it truly is the best, and I use that term lightly.
You’ll never go back to store-bought granola after trying homemade. Oh, how it just got so much better!
Ingredients To Make Homemade Granola
- Oats: They are heart-healthy, nutritious, whole-grain old-fashioned oatmeal holds its shape during baking. We love using Bob’s Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled Oats as it’s also gluten-free!
- Nuts & Seeds: In this recipe, we used pecan, almonds, and pepitas. Other nuts you can also add are walnuts, cashews, peanuts, pistachios, or macadamia nuts. As for seeds, you can add chia and/or flax seeds.
- Unrefined Oils: Oil contributes to the crispness and irresistibility of this granola. I use unrefined coconut oil since it is tasty and healthy (using quality coconut oil, you’ll hardly taste the coconut, if at all) and gives the ideal texture.
- Natural Sweetener: In my granola recipe, I like using pure maple syrup. Honey and date syrup are also great alternatives. Unlike sugar, natural sweeteners can enhance the flavor more.
- Spices & Salt: Don’t skimp on the salt if you want delicious granola! If you use too little, your flavors will be muted. In this recipe, I like using fine-grain sea salt. But, regular salt would work (just use a bit less).
For a slight warming spice, I added cinnamon to this batch. Other possibilities include ground ginger, cardamom, turmeric, nutmeg (use half as much), and pumpkin spice blends.
- Dried Fruit: Dried fruit adds sweetness, chewiness, and enticing fruity flavor. For this batch, I use dried cranberries. You can also use dried bananas, dried cherries, raisins, apricots, and more!
- Other Mix-ins options: Chocolate chips are a nice touch. I used dark chocolate, but you can use semi-sweet or white chocolate to your liking. Coconut flakes are another nice touch. Add this 5 minutes before the granola is done so it is perfectly toasted.
How To Enjoy Homemade Granola
Granola can be eaten in many ways. One of the ways to enjoy granola is as a snack, if you made them into clusters when baking, even better! Also, try it with your choice of dairy and make it into a cereal. Fruit parfaits? Uh…yes! You can make cute and delicious Yogurt Berry Parfait for breakfast that is perfect for any occasion. They even make great garnishes for your pancakes, acai bowl, and even just plain yogurt for added texture.
How To Make Homemade Granola
Servings: 4-5 Cups | Course: Breakfast
- 2 Cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Nuts (we used ½ pecans and ½ almonds)
- ¼ Cup Seeds (we used pepitas)
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ Cup Maple Syrup (room temperature)
- ¼ Cup Coconut Oil (melted)
- ⅓ Cup Dried Fruit (we used cranberries)
- ¼ Cup Dark Chocolate Chips (optional)
*For other mix-in and flavor combination suggestions you can read more above the post.
Prep: 5 minutes | Cook: 20-25 minutes
Time needed: 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 350°F.
- Dry Ingredients: In the mixing bowl, add rolled oats, salt, cinnamon, nuts, and seeds. Mix the ingredients together so they are evenly distributed.
- Wet Ingredients: Add coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
Note: Be sure to have the maple syrup at room temperature and the coconut oil melted. It will cease if the maple syrup is cold and cause it to clump.
- Prepare the baking pan: Line the baking pan with parchment paper and then pour the granola mixture in.
- Baking the granola: Spread the granola evenly on the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350°F or until they are golden brown. Halfway through, take the granola out, and with your spatula break up the granola. If you want to have clusters, don’t disturb them too much. Then, remove it from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Add Mix-ins: Once it’s completely cooled, add in your dried fruit and chocolate chips. Give that a quick mix and enjoy!
Note: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a month.