A creamy dairy-free, cheesy macaroni topped with delicious gluten-free panko baked to perfection.
What is there not to love about Mac & Cheese? You have your ooey-gooey cheese and crunchy bits of breadcrumb. An American classic Thanksgiving side dish that everyone loves.
If we asked you, “Are you dairy-sensitive and never gotten a chance to enjoy mac & cheese with your friends?” Well let us tell you, you’ve come to the right place today! Here we recreated the most iconic side dish and made it completely guilt-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free! Once you’ve tried our cheese sauce, you’ll be asking yourself, “Damn, is this really not cheese?” Your belly will be singing with joy.
WATCH THIS QUICK VIDEO OF OUR HEALTHY MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE
And subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly cooking videos!
In this recipe, you will find that we are making it gluten-free and dairy-free roux with vegan cheese and seasonings that were inspired by the Vegan alfredo sauce, we were able to create this flavorful cheesy bechamel sauce with ghee/vegan butter, gluten-free all-purpose flour, coconut milk, and cream, vegetable stock into a thick and creamy sauce. The trick to creating the cheesy taste is in these simple ingredients nutritional yeast, dijon mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper and vegan cheddar cheese.
Just like the regular mac & cheese, you will cook your macaroni and transfer it over to your baking dish that is about 9×13. Add in your gluten-free panko crumbs all over and bake until golden brown.
Whether you are vegan or not, it is so easy to make and delicious!
Vegan cheese is a dairy-free, plant-based cheese. Most vegan cheese contains no cholesterol and less saturated fat than dairy cheese. Vegan Cheddar Cheese is made up of water, coconut oil, vegan flavors, salt, and b-carotene for that cheddar color. One of our favorite vegan cheese brands is Whole Food 365 and Daiya. They make one of the best cheddar cheese we’ve tried.
What is nutritional yeast? It’s a deactivated yeast made from sugarcane and beet molasses. It has a cheesy tasting, nutty, and contains an incredible amount of B vitamins.
Coconuts can come in many forms from coconut water, milk, sugar, and oil. Coconut cream specifically helps lower blood pressure and cholesterol, reduces fat and builds muscles, as well as improving digestion. It is also a great alternative for those who are lactose intolerant and have an allergy to tree nuts.
What Goes With Healthy Mac and Cheese?
We have a wide range of thanksgiving dishes to go with your vegan mac and cheese. Here are some recipes ready-to-go with this must-have favorite:
- Thanksgiving Turkey
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Sauteed Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- Baked Apple Confit
Let’s get started with cooking!
Ingredients You Will Need
How To Make Healthy Mac and Cheese
Servings: 8 | Course: Side Dish | Cuisine: American
- 1 Box Gluten-Free Macaroni
Vegan Cheese Sauce Roux
- 1/3 Cup Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter or Ghee
- 1-1/2 Cup Coconut Milk (full fat)
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Cream
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Onion Salt
- 2 Tbsp Spicy Brown Mustard
- 1 Cup Vegan Cheddar Cheese
Prep: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 55 minutes
Time needed: 1 hour.
- Making The Vegan Cheese Sauce Roux
1. With your skillet on medium heat, add in your ghee and let it melt.
2. Next, add in your gluten-free all-purpose flour and whisk together with the ghee. Let the flour cook completely.
3. Then, pour your coconut milk and coconut cream into the roux. Whisk everything together and let it cook for about 1-2minutes.
4. You can now pour your vegetable stock into the roux. Whisk so everything is incorporated for 1-2 minutes.
5. Now, we can add in our vegan shredded cheddar cheese. Mix until the cheese is melted.
6. Remove it from the heat to add the nutritional yeast, turmeric, smoked paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, onion salt, and spicy brown mustard. Whisk everything together for 2-3 minutes.
- Preparing the Macaroni
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. In a separate pot, bring water to a boil to cook the macaroni.
3. Add in your macaroni and follow the direction for cook time. We used Quinoa Rice Macaroni that takes about 6-8 minutes to be al dente.
4. Drain the macaroni.
5. Add the drained macaroni into the cheese sauce roux. Mix everything together so that macaroni is well-coated.
6. Grab your casserole dish, and pour over the cheese macaroni.
7. Generously, cover with gluten-free panko.
8. Bake for 25-27 minutes until the topping is golden brown and crispy.
9. Now you have an amazingly healthy and gluten-free mac & cheese ready for everyone to enjoy! You would not be able to tell the difference!