Red Velvet Cupcakes are enjoyed by many. With its bright red color topped off with cream cheese frosting. Giving us that Valentine’s Day feels to it these cupcakes are made with plant-based coloring!
Lucky for you, we made gluten and dairy-free red velvet cupcake with white chocolate cream cheese frosting. The perfect touch of cacao and subtle sweetness from white chocolate. Yum!
What is Red Velvet?
Is red velvet a chocolate cake or a vanilla cake? It is actually a bit of both! Chocolate cakes are known to be made with pure chocolate or cacao powder making them a more rich and moist cake. While red velvet is a vanilla cake with some cacao powder added for its subtle chocolate flavor. Red Velvet is a soft and crumbly type cake.
Fun Fact: When using cacao or cocoa powder with vinegar or buttermilk there is a chemical reaction that changes the pH giving it that red-tinted color. Whoa!
OUR LATEST VIDEO
Where Can I Find Natural Food Coloring?
What if you don’t get the bright scarlet-red color you know red velvet for? Not a problem! We found a vegan and all-natural food coloring by Supernatural! There are no artificial dyes, soy, palm oil, and is gluten-free! You still get that vibrant color without all the chemicals and additives. Yes!
Difference Between Cacao and Cocoa Powder
According to Healthline, “Some experts use “cacao” for the pods, beans and ground-up contents of the beans, reserving “cocoa” for the powder left after pressing the fat out of the ground beans (1). Makers of raw (unroasted) or less processed cacao bean products often use the word cacao rather than cocoa, which may imply that they’re more natural products.”
PROCESS OF CACAO
- Fermentation: The beans (with some sticky pulp still clinging on) are put into bins and covered for a few days so microbes that feed on the pulp can ferment the beans. This starts to develop the distinctive chocolate flavor and aroma.
- Drying: The fermented beans are dried for several days. Once dry, they may be sorted and sold to chocolate makers.
- Roasting: The dried beans are roasted unless a raw product is desired. Roasting more fully develops the chocolate flavor and gives them some sweetness.
- Crushing: The beans are crushed and separated from their outer hulls, resulting in broken cacao pieces called nibs.
- Grinding: Nibs are ground, producing a non-alcoholic liquor. Now it’s ready to be made into chocolate products.
How To Make Red Velvet Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
Servings: 12 | Course: Breads, Side Dish | Cuisine: American
Red Velvet Cupcake
- 1 ¼ Cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Pack Red Food Coloring by Supernatural
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ Cup Arrowroot Starch
- 4 Tsp Cacao Powder
- ¼ Tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ Cup Oat Milk (or milk of choice, room temperature)
- 1 Cup Cane Sugar
- ¼ Cup Ghee (room temperature)
- 2 Large Eggs (room temperature)
- 2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (we used plant-based, room temperature)
- ½ Cup Ghee (room temperature)
- 4 oz White Chocolate Chips (dairy-free, melted)
- 1 Tsp Coconut Oil (melted with white chocolate)
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes
Time needed: 35 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line your 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners and set it aside.
- Sift your dry ingredients.
(gluten-free all-purpose flour, cacao powder, baking soda, arrowroot starch, salt)
- Separate your yolk and egg whites. In your stand mixer, whip the egg white until you reach a stiff peak. Set the whipped egg whites aside in another bowl.
- Back in your stand mixer, add in your ghee. Whipped the ghee until it is creamy for about 1-2 minutes at medium-high speed. Then, add the sugar and whip it together with the ghee for another 1-2 minutes.
- Once your ghee and sugar are incorporated, add in your egg yolks. Mix for about 1-2 minutes at medium speed.
- Take your Supernatural Red Food Coloring and add it into your sugar ghee egg mixture.
- Once the coloring is fully incorporated, add in your dry ingredients.
- Now, add the oat milk (or milk of choice). Mix everything for about 1-2 minutes at medium speed.
- In your cupcake/muffin tins, line them with cupcake liners. With a cookie scoop or spoon, fill your cupcake liners in your pan.
- Now bake the cupcakes at 350°F for 17 to 20 minutes. You will know that it is done when the toothpick comes out clean.
- In your clean mixing bowl, whip your cream cheese at medium-high speed until it is creamy for about 2 minutes. Then add in your ghee to the cream cheese and let that whip for about 2 minutes until creamy. While that is mixing, melt your white chocolate chips with some coconut oil that will be added into the cream cheese. Lastly, mix the powdered sugar.
- Transfer your white chocolate cream cheese into a piping bag with a plain tip #808.
- Start piping the cream cheese frosting onto your cooled cupcakes. Then, garnish with a bit of matcha powder.