This is my favorite gluten-free banana bread recipe because of its super-moist texture, buttery banana and brown sugar flavors, and incredibly soft crumb. All you’ll need is 4 ripe bananas.
This is my favorite gluten-free banana bread recipe, which I’ve been making often this past year. When I have leftover spotty bananas on the counter, this is the recipe that comes to mind first, and it’s the bread that’s perfect for meal prepping too. This is the best banana bread recipe ever, and if you haven’t tried it yet, you should.
Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour is our go-to favorite flour for banana bread. In my opinion, this is easy to use and has never given me any problems while baking up a storm for my family and friends!
Picking the right bananas
The perfect bananas for banana bread are black, not yellow. Or they’re streaked with black/brown, with only a tiny little bit of green near the stem. And, once again, the darker the better: there is no such thing as an overripe banana when it comes to banana bread.
Banana Nut Bread Step-by-Step
- In a stand mixer, mix the butter and light brown sugar with the paddle attachment for about 2 minutes. Then, add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix this for about 1 minute.
Note: In this recipe, you can sub butter with ghee or coconut oil. Just be sure that all your ingredients are at room temperature as coconut oil and butter will cease to be solid then liquefied. Some recipes call for both granulated and brown sugar. I’ve tested and ½ cup of light brown sugar is the perfect sweetness for my family and me. If you like it a bit sweeter, add ¾ cup instead.
- Now, add in the mashed bananas and yogurt. Next, add the gluten-free all-purpose flour. Mix for 2 minutes on medium-high until everything is well incorporated. Lastly, add in chopped walnuts.
Note: Using yogurt will add more moisture to the banana bread. In this recipe, we used plain plant-based yogurt. One brand we love to use is Forager Project. You can also substitute yogurt with sour cream or buttermilk. These two work interchangeably in almost any baking recipe.
How To Make Vegan Buttermilk
Use 1 Tbsp of lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup of soy or almond milk. Give it a whisk and then allow this to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Pour the batter into a 9×5 loaf pan and garnish additional walnuts to your desired liking. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until the toothpick comes out clean from the middle.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool. Then, slice them up and Enjoy with a cup of coffee!
Other Methods to Making Banana Nut Bread Batter
This recipe is versatile and you don’t need to have a stand mixer to make this banana nut bread. You can also use a large mixing bowl and hand whisk with some man power to incorporate everything together! Electric hand whisk can also be used as well if this is what’s available in your kitchen.
How to Freeze Banana Bread
- Allow baked banana bread to cool fully. (We know this part will be hard to do, if it hasn’t been eaten up already! We won’t tell if you won’t)
- Wrap the loaf or slices in 2-3 pieces of plastic wrap or aluminum foil (individually or in groups).
- Wrap the banana bread in plastic wrap and place it in a large freezer-friendly storage bag or reusable container.
- Date the bag and store it in the freezer for up to 3-4 months. Thaw in the refrigerator or at room temperature, wrapped or unwrapped. All techniques work flawlessly!
- I like to freeze banana bread pieces because they thaw considerably faster–even by noon!
Ingredients You Will Need
How To Make Gluten-Free Banana Nut Bread
Servings: 1 Loaf | Course: Bread, Breakfast | Cuisine: American
- 1 ½ Cup Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Butter (sub Ghee or Coconut Oil, soften)
- ½ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Cups Ripe Bananas (4 Medium Bananas, mashed)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Eggs (room temp)
- ⅓ Cup Plain Yogurt (sub sour cream or buttermilk, room temp)
- 1 Cup Raw Walnuts (chopped)
Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 1 hour 5 minutes
Preheat the oven at 350°F. Grease the loaf pan and set it aside. In a stand mixer, add in your butter and light brown sugar. Beat it until creamy for about 2 minutes. Next, add your eggs and allow this to beat for 1 minute. Then, add the mashed bananas, vanilla extract, and yogurt. Allow this to mix for 2 minutes. In another bowl, add the gluten-free all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Give the dry ingredients a good mix. Now pour the dry ingredients into the wet. Allow them to mix for 2 minutes and then add in the chopped walnuts. Grab the loaf pan and pour the batter evenly. Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until the toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let it cool. Slice them up and enjoy!