A simple and easy creamy green bean casserole made with our homemade air-fried onions with chanterelle mushroom cream sauce. A great dish for meal prep and for the holidays.
There isn’t a single holiday season we couldn’t remember going without this green bean casserole. Bathing our green beans in our creamy homemade mushroom sauce topped off with our air-fried crispy onions is just to die for. We made sure this was gluten-free and dairy-free friendly in mind.
WATCH THIS QUICK VIDEO OF OUR CREAMY GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE RECIPE
And subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly cooking videos!
Green beans are known by many names such as string beans or snap beans. They have been a staple in many kitchens in America because of how easy this side dish is for holiday meals, nightly dinners, or even family potluck. You can simply blanch them, sautéed them, or enjoy them as they are. They are amazing for heart health and gut health as contain no cholesterol and high in fiber with all the vitamins and minerals your body needs daily.
How To Choose Green Beans
When buying green beans, they come pre-packaged, loose, or canned. We always choose loose because it’s fresh and you can pick them out with no blemishes. You want to look for a bright green color and free of any blemishes or spots as well as it not being flimsy.
Chanterelle mushroom is a bright orange, yellow, or white meaty type of wild mushroom. You can better recognize them for their trumpet-like cup and wavy, wrinkled ridges. They have a fruity aroma, so don’t let it fool you for its mild peppery taste too. Some of the added benefits from these beautiful mushrooms are how rich in vitamin D they are which helps regulate the amount of calcium and phosphate in our bodies for bone health and improving your immune system. Keep in mind, chanterelle mushrooms are a great substitute for meat in any dish. Whether you are looking for a healthy alternative away from meat or if you are vegan and vegetarians alike this would be a great choice along with other meaty mushrooms alike.
Homemade Cream of Mushroom
In our homemade cream of mushroom, we used Chanterelle mushrooms that are hearty and flavorful. In our saucepan, we cooked the Chanterelle mushroom with garlic in olive oil. For the creamy sauce, we added coconut milk and cream with potato starch to thicken. Season it with thyme, salt, and pepper. So delicious you can also add this recipe into your pasta dish as well.
Ingredients You Will Need
How To Make Creamy Green Bean Casserole
Servings: 8 | Course: Side Dish | Cuisine: American
- 1 Pound Green Beans
Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Pounds Chanterelle mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Ghee, divided
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Thyme Leaves
- 4 Tablespoons Gluten-Free Flour
- 1¼ Cups Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Coconut Cream
- 4 Cloves Garlic (minced or pressed)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Kosher Salt
- ¾ cup Homemade Air-Fried Onions
Prep: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 50 minutes
Time needed: 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Prep the Ingredients
1. Take your green beans and trim the ends. Set the bowl aside.
2. Next, take your chanterelle mushroom and chop them into cubes size pieces. Place the chopped mushrooms in a separate bowl and set them aside.
3. Mince or press your cloves of garlic.
4. In your pot, bring the water to a boil. Take your green beans and blanch them. You will know they are blanch when they turn bright green. Remove the blanch green beans into an ice bath and set aside.
- Making the Mushroom Cream Sauce
1. Take a skillet over medium-high heat, add in your oil and garlic. Stir until fragrant.
2. Now add your mushrooms,1 tablespoon of ghee, and season with salt & pepper. Continue to stir for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Pour the cooked mushrooms into a bowl and set to the side while we make the roux.
4. Take your remaining ghee and gluten-free flour, use a whisk to mix until the flour is cooked completely.
5. Now add your coconut milk and cream into the mix. Season your sauce with salt and pepper. Stir again until incorporated and thicken.
6. You can add back in your cooked mushrooms and stir well.
- Assembling the Casserole
1. Pour your blanch green beans into a casserole dish.
2. Now pour the delicious mushroom cream sauce on top.
3. Cover with foil and bake at 375°F for 35-40 minutes.
5. Remove the cover and top off with your homemade fried french onions and bake for additional 10 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
7. It’s ready to be enjoyed with all the tasty Thanksgiving dishes!