Best Juicy Chicken Souvlaki you will ever have! Easily enjoyed with Crispy Lemon Potatoes, or Rice, even as a Gyro topped with Tzatziki. Simple and flavorful ingredients you already have in your kitchen. Yum!
What is Souvlaki?
Souvlaki is the Greek rendition of the Middle Eastern kebab, made of marinated beef – or sometimes fish – on skewers in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Unlike kebab, which is generally made with lamb, souvlaki is made with pig, notably in Greece and Cyprus. However, because souvlaki has become a popular fast snack created with the consumer in mind, chicken, lamb, swordfish, and vegetarian variants are not difficult to come by.
Accompaniments For Souvlaki
Tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, and peppers are typically offered as an addition to the dish, either fresh or grilled on the side. Using skewers they are cooked alongside the meat. Tzatziki, a cold sauce made of yogurt, cucumber, garlic, dill, and lemon juice, is another popular side dish. Souvlaki is typically eaten with grilled pita, which is filled with many veggies either fresh or grilled. Though this sandwich is sometimes referred to as a gyro or souvlaki gyro, the term “gyro” actually refers to a huge meat roast that is grilled on a slowly revolving vertical spit, then thinly sliced and served in a pita or on top of rice.
While chicken is one protein option for souvlaki, you can also try a more traditional Greek Souvlaki, our Pork Souvlaki, or Lamb Souvlaki with the same preparation.
Stories To Check Out
Different Cooking Methods For Chicken Souvlaki
Oven: You can also make these chicken souvlaki in the oven as well. On a baking tray with a rack, place your chicken souvlaki skewers and bake at 450°F for 15 minutes. Then, use the broiler for the last 1-3 minutes to get a nice browning.
Grill: Prepare your grill and then brush some olive oil. Place your chicken souvlaki skewers and cook for about 6 minutes on each side or until you get a nice browning. The internal temperature should be about 155°F-165°F
Ingredients You Will Need
How To Make Chicken Souvlaki
Servings: 8 – 12 Skewers | Course: Dinner
- 1 ½ – 2 lb Skinless Chicken Breast (cubed)
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil (additional for cooking)
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 4-6 Cloves Garlic (minced or pressed)
- 1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Large Red Onion (medium square chunks)
- 1 Large Green Bell Pepper (medium square chunks)
Prep: 15 minutes | Marinade: 2 hours | Cook: 15 minutes
Time needed: 30 minutes.
- Prepare the marinade: In a mixing bowl, add olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, dried oregano, and salt. Whisk everything together and set it aside.
- Chopped ingredients: Cube chicken breast. Then, chop the bell peppers and red onions into square chunks. Add the ingredients into the marinade. With your hands or spoon, mix until everything is well coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours
- Skewers: If you are using wooden skewers sticks, soak them for 30 minutes before cooking. Then thread the marinated chickens and veggie. Skip this step if you are using stainless steel skewers.
- Cook the chicken souvlaki: Prepare the cast iron grill pan by coating it with oil on medium high heat. Place the skewers onto the hot grill pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until you get a nice browning. Remove and serve hot!
Meal prep this in advance and enjoy it on your favorite Salad, Your options are endless!