It’s the season for squash soups and this one is unforgettable.
A classic Butternut Squash Soup that will win your family and guests’ heart!
What can we say, it’s the fall season and butternut squash soup is no exception! It has to be the best seasonal soup there is! It’s smooth, flavorful, and hearty that you would just enjoy as a meal itself. Just don’t forget to top it off with a drizzle of Olive Oil and some pepita pumpkin seeds. We recommend that you try it with our leftover bread ideas to make croutons or crostini for a bit of added crunch. Needless to say, we made this recipe dairy-free and vegan-friendly. So, we hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
WATCH THIS QUICK VIDEO OF OUR BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP RECIPE
And subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly cooking videos!
What is Butternut Squash?
Butternut squash has many health benefits such as rich in beta carotene, vitamins, and minerals. To list a few, it contains Vitamin C and Vitamin B6, Magnesium, and Fiber. Butternut Squash is known to help lower blood pressure, low on the glycemic index, and high in antioxidants. Did you know it is also great for your skin, hair, and overall immune system? The benefits are endless!
Onions are dense in nutrition. Which means they are low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals. Onions are loaded with antioxidants and antibacterial properties. These vegetables are also known to aid in digestion, improve bone density, and control blood sugar.
Coconuts can come in many forms such as coconut water, milk, sugar, and oil. Coconut cream specifically helps lower blood pressure, control cholesterol, and improves digestion. It is also a great alternative for those who are lactose intolerant and have an allergy to tree nuts.
Spices are a great way to add some extra benefits to your diet. Our top picks include:
- Star Anise
According to PubMed, ”Spices not only enhance the flavor, aroma, and color of food and beverages, but they can also protect from acute and chronic diseases.”
What Are Aromatics Herbs?
Aromatic herbs added to your dishes enhances the flavors. By giving it freshness and let’s not forget has many health benefits. Some of these herbs we know are:
Some of the benefits herbs provide are their anti-inflammatory properties, aiding in heart health, and improving the immune system. But, of course, there are many more.
Ingredients You Will Need
How To Make Butternut Squash Soup
Servings: 8 | Course: Soup | Cuisine: American
- 2-½ to 3 Cups Butternut Squash (1 medium-size squash)
- ½ Cup Yellow Onions (quartered)
- ½ Cup Coconut Cream
- 4 Cloves Garlic (minced or pressed)
- 1 Tbsp Ginger (thinly sliced)
- 2 Tsp Olive Oil (divided, more for garnishing)
- 1-½ to 2 Cup Vegetable Stock (can add more for desired consistency)
- 1 Tbsp Organic Brown Sugar
- ½ Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Sprig Fresh Thyme
- 1 Sprig Fresh Sage
- 1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary
- ½ Tsp Salt (to taste)
- ½ Tsp Pepper (to taste)
Prep: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 55 minutes
Time needed: 45 minutes.
- Remove the skin from the butternut squash. Cut the butternut squash into cube sizes. Put them in a bowl and set them aside. In a large pot with water, place your cubed butternut squash and bring to a boil. Continue to let the water boil until the butternut squash becomes soft.
- Drain the water, and place your squash into a high-power blender with vegetable stock, onions, garlic, and ginger. Blend until smooth.
- Now, with your Dutch oven, pour over your butternut squash soup on medium-low heat and bring it back to a boil. Add in your coconut cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste. Give it a quick stir. Add in your aromatics and drizzle a bit of olive oil. Give them a stir and cover for a few minutes.
- Next, sprinkle over your brown sugar and cover again for a few additional minutes. Let it simmer for 10 minutes on medium-low, give it a final good stir. Remove the Dutch oven from the heat.
- Scoop your butternut squash soup into a large soup bowl to serve to the guests. Garnish with pepita pumpkin seeds and a drizzle with olive oil. A perfectly creamy butternut squash soup ready to be served. Enjoy!