Banana Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are rich, decadent, and flavorful. Enjoy eating them all week long for breakfast. Start making your mornings better with chocolate!
When making our healthy zucchini pecan muffins, we wanted to combine our favorite flavors of chocolate and bananas! Hence, our creation of a banana chocolate zucchini muffin. Did you know that it’s actually a double chocolate muffin because we used cacao and chocolate chips? Yep yep!
We love this way more than cupcakes! And here’s why… We do occasionally enjoy frosting but they are just too sweet! But for these banana chocolate zucchini muffins, you don’t need all of that! The sweetness from the banana, maple syrup, and chocolate chips in these muffins are all you’ll need. So enjoy the morning with these delicious babies!
Best Zucchini Muffin Recipe Tips
- It is important to get the moisture out of the zucchini! Too much moisture can create a soggy texture in your muffin and we wouldn’t want that! Be sure to give the grated zucchini a good squeeze before adding it into your wet ingredients.
- Smooth the muffin top for a pretty and perfect looking muffin.
More Muffin Recipes
- Blueberry Oat Muffins
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Carrot Cake Muffins
Ingredients You Will Needs
Gluten-Free Flour: Whenever we are baking muffins, we always use Bob’s Red Mill Baking Flour Mix. It’s perfect for non-yeasted recipes such as quick bread, muffins, cakes, and more.
Cacao: A perfect way to add a chocolatey flavor that pairs well with the spices and banana. Is it a muffin or a cupcake?
Spices: We used cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and cardamom that is a nice warm spice reminding you of fall. They go really well with bananas and chocolate.
Baking Soda: This Will help the muffin rise with a pinch.
Chocolate Chips: Use semi-sweet baking chocolate chips as this will give it that perfect sweetness to balance the overall muffin. We don’t recommend using 100% dark chocolate as it will overpower the whole muffin.
Eggs: All you will need is 3 eggs that help with the height and texture of any baked goods.
Bananas: Simply use a fork to mash up your spotty bananas. It will also add additional natural sweetness with hints of banana flavor that pairs well with the spices and cacao!
Plain Yogurt: We used plain cashew yogurt, but you can also use sour cream, apple sauce, or any choice of plain yogurt. This will help with the moistness of the muffin.
Apple Cider Vinegar: By adding this together with the yogurt it is similar to buttermilk, but becomes dairy-free! This helps with fluffing the muffin top while reacting with baking soda.
Maple Syrup: An all-natural sweetener to replace brown sugar and granulated sugar. You can also use honey if you like. Just note that using honey may make it a more dense muffin.
Zucchini: Simply use a box grater and squeeze the excess water from the zucchini. It’s a great way to sneak more veggies into your diet when you can’t even taste them!
More From MGF
How to Store Banana Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
After the muffins are cooled, if you are not eating them right away you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days and a week refrigerated for freshness. Did you know you can also freeze these muffins for up to 3 months? Just take them out of the freezer and allow them to thaw. Then warm it up in a toaster oven or microwave before eating. It’s that simple!
How To Make Banana Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Servings: 12 Muffins | Course: Breakfast | Cuisine: American
- 2 Cups Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- 1 Tsp Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ½ Tsp Ground Cardamom
- ½ Tsp Ground Cloves
- 2 Tbsp Cacao Powder
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 3 Eggs
- ¼ Cup Plain Yogurt
- ¼ Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 Ripe Bananas (mashed)
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 ½ Cups Grated Zucchini
Prep: 15 Minutes | Cook: 25-28 Minutes
Time needed: 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line your muffin tin with 12 muffin cups. Set it aside.
- Next in a large mixing bowl, add in the dry ingredients (gluten-free baking flour, baking soda, spices, cacao powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, maple syrup, mashed bananas, and apple cider vinegar. Grate the zucchinis and squeeze the excess water with a towel or nut milk bag. Add it into the wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until the batter is well-mixed. Lastly, add the chocolate chips in and fold them into the batter with a spatula. Then evenly distribute the batter into the muffin liners.
- Bake the zucchini muffins for 25 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Allow them to cool and then enjoy!
- Try Simple Healthy Zucchini Pecan Muffins
- Use a cheesecloth! It is perfect for removing excess moisture from grated zucchini and can be reused to make any nut milk and more.